Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Why I like bluegrass and folk


I catch a lot of "flack" from people because my I like bluegrass and good folk music. Good folk actually tells a story. Folk is not just music with a British voice and a cute guitar player. I like these two forms of music because they tell a story. A story that is not often heard in most modern music. "Oh baby," and songs that contain the word "whoop" are not worthy of being called stories unless you consider the degradation of people and circumstances stories worth telling. My favorite musician is Doc Watson. Doc was discovered by a recording agent in the late 50's as he was on his way to a music festival in Virginia. A person told him that he should listen to this blind guy in the hills who could play guitar and sing about things that actually affected the local people. Like the bootleggers, absentee fathers. He rode in the back of a flatbed truck for an hour bouncing through the hills until he came upon a cabin with a blind guy with a homemade banjo and guitar. When he played the producer knew the stories had to be told. Now, I like other music but when I really want to get into the music I listen to Doc. That is his pic here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I listened to your Doc Watson last night he is awesome, thanks for sharing. Joda said I missed a good sermon Sunday and she shared it with me, must have been really good because she filled in the blanks and took notes.

Sarah said...

Have you heard of Old Crow Medicine Show? If not, check them out. They are really fun!

basketballstar said...

i am going to miss u so much I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH LOVE YA *KYLA*

flee said...

Hey! How's it going these days? The trees are really turning here! I still can't get over the color of all these trees in the fall. It's incredible. How's Jennifer? Todd has been itching to go hunting. Will you guys be around this way for any of the holidays? We'll be here for Thanksgiving. Let me know. I'd love to surprise him by arranging some "Eben" time! Let me know!

Anonymous said...

Eben - I'm with *KYLA* on this one..we ARE going to miss you...well, at least most of us! :)

Evan Williams said...

I have a blog now check it out and tell me what you think.

Evan Williams said...

dude i love the word "flack"

Jake Moudy said...

Hey eben I going to ask you to do something for me, pray for the friends and famly of the two people that died over today and yesterday

Anonymous said...

you wanna tv?