Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I am not a preacher

Though the decision was difficult I have decided to leave full time ministry. I am not a "pastor" and preachers have been relegated to this position. I have the highest respect and admiration for those who can juggle the two sides. I could not. It is not a statement of defeat but I was growing increasingly frustrated, as well, my convictions about the church have changed. I believe it would have been more divisive in the end than unifying. Many will make statements about the "real" reason I left the ministry. Their character has been a sad disappointment in the last few months and quite frankly they are wrong. I left the ministry for the above reasons. Later you will read posts as to the exact nature of my changing convictions. Until then please know that I have not fallen away by my new convictions. For now I will say that I had to remain moderately convicted if I was going to remain peaceful and non-divisive in the churches of Christ, this would help no person.

6 comments:

heather said...

hey eben--good for you for acting on your beliefs and convictions. not everyone has your type of courage.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Eben, just so you know..you were/are a good preacher. I thoroughly enjoyed your lessons and feel that I have grown as a Christian because of them. I will miss you!
I might even send a jar of hot sauce your way every now and then!
Take care and stay in touch!

Anonymous said...

Eben, I love you and you are a wonderful teacher. We moved to a different church, but it wasn't because of you --- or anyone, but at the new church, we are experiencing some Christian fellowship that is refreshing and welcomed and I can't put my finger on it, but it is good. I think it is the difference between being polite and really loving your neighbor. Be Blessed and know that we love you! Debbie

Anonymous said...

I am reading a refreshing book called "extraordinary results form ordinary teachers" by Michael D. Warden. It provides some interesting ideas on the ways Jesus taught - much different than the ordinary "religious" and "secular" world views a teacher. It brought me back to the fact that we are servants at heart as we teach those we desire to reach. You might enjoy this refreshing viewpoint! Hope things are going well.

Eben said...

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I can assure you this was the right move. We are very happy. We have seen how at the root of many of the things was our own spiritual weaknesses.
I am fairly certain that the cure for these weaknesses is salsa. I could be wrong, but I wont know until I try.
Thanks ya'll. Keep Jennifer and me in your prayers. We are enjoying life. We are broke, happy and in love. This was the best thing we could have done.

Anonymous said...

I really think the reason I moved to Tulia was to listen to you, talk with you and grow. Would love to converse with you more about 'beliefs' and 'traditions'.
I have doubts about what I have always believed.