Sunday, July 29, 2007

What is AIM?



Last week we were at camp in the Altus, OK. area, it was fun time and I believe that some lives were touched with the gospel. Several young people came to me and asked about the AIM program. Many of you who read this blog are my friends because of AIM and I ask you to briefly share your experience with potential future AIMers.
AIM which is acronym for Adventures in Missions was formed as tool for high school graduates to be prepared for and participate in missions around the world. The program has evolved from the early days. Those interested in AIM are usually between the ages of 18-mid twenties, though there have been many wonderful exceptions.
This is how it works: you move to Lubbock for 8 months and study the Bible as well as other practical aspects of mission work. You are then placed on a team of people, with whom you can work and then sent to a place you have expressed interest in. These places range from New York to New Zealand and all places in between. While on the mission field you and your team will assist the missionary effort in whatever needs to be done. Sometimes you will scrub toilets, sometimes you will study the gospel with someone. After a year to two years you come home and go to college or go to work but you will forever be changed. You can read more about AIM on there website http://www.aimsunset.org/.
My experience with AIM is not unique but it helps show what many of us have had the opportunity to experience. I was taught the gospel by a friend in high school and shortly after I began to develop an interest in ministry. I had no desire, at the time, to do anything other than stay at home and raise cattle and chickens. (Yeehaw...bock bock) My youth minister told me that I should consider going to preacher's school. I thought you have to go to school to learn how to act like a dufus. Needless to say I was not interested. Then I heard of a young lady from my congregation who went to the AIM program, I inquired, I became interested and I decided I would go. I didn't know what I was getting into but I wanted to serve the Lord and thought this might help. I moved to Lubbock. I remember the drive well; lots of DP, lots of Tom Petty and lots of time to think about what I was doing. Got to Lubbock and met my roommate, he was a Mexican. I had never been around anyone other than people who looked, acted, and tawlked just like me. Then we had our first class assembly. Some of the people in that group were odd, some sounded like my Monty Python videos, surely the church didn't reach that far. Classes started and I must admit I thought I already knew everything so for the first couple of weeks I didn't learn much. But then something happened, slowly God began to peel layers of selfishness, racism, close mindedness, and unfaithfulness away from my heart. I began to see that the gospel is needed everywhere and we must be willing to die in order to make it happen. Well I formed some friendships and my team was formed. I was on a team with four people. There was me, Travis the Canadian hockey stud, Hannah from England and Katie from Hawley, TX. Katie and I were the most alike but we all formed a friendship that has changed who I am. We went to Ecuador, first to Cuenca for about a year and then Quito for a little under a year. We saw things I can not describe, we witnessed the power of God in a culture foreign to all of us. Most of all God changed us. I haven's talked to many of teammates in quite sometime but I think of them often, I have picture of us four above my PC. We are normal people. AIM was the single best move I have ever made. I have gone through a few degrees, Sunset, grad school and all that. If I had to choose just one it would be AIM, no question. I wish I could explain what the program did for me, I simply can't. I share this for those of you have been through the program and for those of you who are thinking about it. If you want the opportunity to molded in a wonderful way consider AIM. The congregation where I serve as minister has AIM groups come up every year. As I watch them I am excited to know that their world is fixing to be rocked by God. If you want to be, or have been, a part of AIM please share your story. Peace.

1 comment:

TREY MORGAN said...

I love AIM and I love AIMers. They are such quality people. My children are planning on attending AIM ... I hope they stick to their plans.

PS - Eben ... better swing by my blog, I've picked on you today!