Monday, July 9, 2007

Burn out



I remember when I was in school that some older preachers told us that there will come a time when you feel ineffective and burned out. At the time I thought 'not me, never.' I realized recently that much of my own apathy comes from this very thing. It may seem odd that a preacher would feel that way, but I do. I look at what is going on around me and most of the time now I just want to run away from it. I love the Lord and His church but wonder if I shouldn't be doing something else. I wont, because I have a sense of calling. I think it is important for us to realize that the most physically and mentally taxing work is that which involves the lives of others. It is not escapism. It is a reality that must be faced. I write this because I feel weak as a minister. I also believe that an unhealthy dependency and expectation is placed on the preacher far too many times. Ministers have families that often viewed as disposable at the cost of the peace with a far more important complaint. I hope this doesn't seem to vulnerable, it was hard for me to write.

I have learned that the path way to burn out is as follows:
1. Allow complaints to dictate what you do.
2. Hang out with gossips.
3. Though your to be available 24/7 you better not take the time needed to relax.
4. When you finally feel burned out, just accept apathy as the norm.
I am thankful for what I do and would never consider anything else but doubt is creeping in. If you are in the same place distinguish between burn out and laziness and take the time needed to regroup, it will leave you much more effective. God bless and peace.

8 comments:

jel said...

I don't have any words of wisdom!



and not much on words


but hang in there!

TREY MORGAN said...

It's tough being vulnerable. I've found that when I don't show my weaknesses and vulnerability people don't relate to me as well. I also think it's time for ministers to stop coming across as perfect. We do get tired, we do get frustrated, and our fires do burn low.

Thanks for sharing your heart. I often understand how you feel.

Kat said...

Eben Hey! So...I guess you're as cool as me now with a new blog and all. I always knew you looked up to me. I'm excited to keep up with you and Jennifer this way! Hope you guys are having a great summer.

Eben said...

My dear Kat,
Clint is the one I look up to. I will always dream of being as cool as you. Hope you all are ok. We think about you often. With the Perkins moved it feels wierd here. Well tell Clint to study hard becuase his wife can't support him forever.
Peace and love, Eben

Eben said...

Thanks Trey and tru dat.

Anonymous said...

I've got two words for you. "Sab" "bath".

Eben said...

Clint,
I can see you have learned to parse, very good. But really you r right. Hope things are going well there at ACU. Peace and love from me and Jennifer we miss you all.
Eben

Timbra said...

eben. . . good memories for mike? hmmm, we will have to deliberate and get back to you.

with regards to this blog. . apathy is the word that stands out. . . i've been thinking a lot about my own apathy, with regards to spiritually in general lately, and what comes to mind is that some people may say that idleness is the devil's playground, but recently i've been realizing its apathy that's the devil's playground. . . we all get burned out, we have to get recharged right?!