Monday, July 16, 2007

I love my wife.


In my early twenties I desperately wanted to be married. Relationships failed and I found myself alone while all of my friends seemed to be getting married. It wasn't that I didn't have friends, I did, but because I am not a very gregarious person I didn't have many and I only had one or two that I shared everything with. When I met Jennifer we were working at a gym in Lubbock. I invited her to go out with me and some friends one Saturday night, it was a lot of fun. Jennifer and I started dating soon after. She was struck by my boyish good looks and irresistible charm. I remember we spent a lot of time together, she was at my apartment or I was at her house, we were always together. I remember one time I went to Arkansas and the night before Jennifer told me she could never marry me. I hadn't asked but, we both knew that the relationship was fixing to either get serious or die. I was hurt. I thought that past relationship history would repeat itself. When I returned I hadn't shaved in a week, I was dressed like a hick and for the first time Jennifer saw the real me. She told me later that she fell in love with me then. Which leads me to the reason I write this post. I love being married. I am often misunderstood, people assume to know much about you when you are in the public eye. Usually the assumption are false. Jennifer really knows me. She knows what makes me mad, what excites me, she knows my struggles, she knows those things about me that most people can't tolerate. I never find myself feeling insufficient or insecure when I am with Jennifer, I can just be me. The real me is not something most people think is right for a preacher (I would like to say why this is both logically and theologically flawed but this is about my wife). Jennifer is the most compassionate and devoted wife and Christian I know. I know that all good men say great things about their wives but I mean it. If there has been one constant in my life it has been the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of my life Jennifer. There is no better earthly relationship than the one I have with my wife. People sometimes ask me about the Ephesian view of the family "...wives submit....husbands love..." This is in not problematic when you love your wife as Christ loves the church. Jennifer and I both know who the head of the house is and I know who I am to die for should the day come. Often the imbalance is created from a lack of love, you will serve and love the Lord with whom you have fallen in love. As well, you will serve and love the Lord who has fallen in love with you. I wont say our marriage is perfect but it is the best one I know of, as it should be. We love each other. I love being married.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I love you so much. I am so proud to be your wife. Thanks for everything you just said. I thank God everyday for putting you in my life. I never thought I would find a man who could love me as much as you do. Thanks for being the perfect husband for me!

Liss and MOMMY said...

ok I had to comment so Jennifer wouldn't be the only one. It is awesome your love one another. I hope I can speak for Cody but that is how our love is! Even after 3 kids! Way to be a man and post it, Eben.

Eben said...

Thanks mrs. culwell, i am sure it is.
Eben

Lisa said...

Marriage is amazing, its so different than what I thought it would be, and so much better than I ever could have imagined. I wish more people had the godly and loving and selfless marriages that God intended.

TREY MORGAN said...

I think you are a blessed man. You are just like me ... I married up.

Thank God he has been so good to us guys.

Looking forward to spending a week with you guys at camp.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Heather told me you had a blog so i thought i'd drop you a quick note.
I'm so pleased to hear that you have found an exceptional wife who is so in love with both God and you.
Roger and i just had our 8 yr anniversary. That went so fast. Marriage teaches you so much.
So we moved to seattle from London 15 months ago. We are both designers, Rog is an industrial designer and i'm designing for Nordstrom BP. Oh and i like to do drowrings.
We just finished our friday night Bible study that Rog has been teaching. So i'm pretty sleepy.
It would be good to hear from you. you can find me and Hannah on facebook.

Anne Marie

Eben said...

Anne Marie,
It was good to hear from you. I was glad to hear you all are in Seattle. I think that is a really cool town. How is Hannah. I haven't communicated with her in ages. I don't have a facebook account, I think you have to communicate. We'll keep in touch and I am glad to hear you and Roger are doing so well.
Eben

Anonymous said...

Well said.