Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Why I love being Catholic.

It has been a couple of months since I convereted and I am very glad to be on this journey. It is true that the effects of my decision were much further reaching than I had realized. Much of what has been said about us in circles I used to be a part of is speculation that comes from gossip. I have come to the realization that assumptions, speculation and gossip usually determine what people believe about a given situation. All I can say is if your concerned, thank-you. If you are worried let me know. If you hear speculation and assumption please examine the person who is making it. It bothers me because I know that most of the perception of this decision has not been based on fact but rather the words of agitators. It was not an easy decision to become Catholic but I will say it is a very easy decision to stay. I have found a depth that I did not know was there and my spiritual life has changed significantly. I am so glad to be a part of the first church. As I stated before I am going through confirmation classes and we are learning some things about the Church. The more I learn the more I realize that the reformation, that gave birth to all other churches in the 1500's, really robbed people of a wholisitic spiritual experience. Now Christianity is based on the Jesus we create. The early church didn't have to proper view of Jesus without the apostles and the church today cannot keep the proper view of Jesus without the succesors of the apostles. Christ told Peter that on the rock He would build the church and that church would withstand it all, namely the gates of Hades. (Matt. 16:16-18) Jesus was right; only one church has withstood. It feels good to know that my church is not blown by the winds of religious popularity but rather traces itself back to Christ. Just some thoughts.
Anyway...
I have received a lot of responses from people I know and people I don't know. Much of what has been said to, or at, me in these posts has revealed where many are getting their information. Most times the posts are anonymous. Please don't post anonymously.

6 comments:

heather said...

I just wanted to tell you that I admire how you've acted on your faith. It's so hard to make big changes--especially changes that our loved ones and friends find perplexing or maybe just can't seem to understand. Your love for God is obvious--thanks for showing it and for being true to what you believe.

Anonymous said...

Eben
Even though I do not know you well, and you could say the same about me... I must admit that I was shocked and dismayed when I read your blog yesterday and caught up with the changes in your life. I do feel a connection to you because of our common friend Rudy. Rudy always spoke so highly of you, so I have occasioned your web site some in the past.

Friend, to say I am troubled and very concerned for your decision and direction your life has taken would be an understatement on my part, and I trust it would not come as a surprise to you. In reading your "quick thoughts" on a subject that requires more than quickly written or read thoughts - there have been many things that I want to inquire about.

My question is this would you prefer to have this "discussion" over the blog response page - the least of my preferences, in person (my preference), or in personal email or phone conversation?

Leon Mission Effort said...

Hey Eben. Hope all is well. I had a question, b/c I'm guessing that the temple you go to now or whatever is different than Latin Catholics. Having worked in Quito, what are some major differences you see in the Catholic church where you attend and catholics in general in Latin america?

Eben said...

Ray,
I would be glad to meet with you. You are a great minister, I heard you speak at a youth rally once and you certainly have a pasion for God.
Eben

Eben said...

Hermanos de Leon,
In general I would say their is more dualism in some of the South American churches. Like there is in the Bible belt with the worship of money it is just more visible. As with any group of people you have those who know their faith and those who don't. I so wish that every Catholic would study the meaning of Catholicism. It is so rich. Also, because it has been a part their lives for hundreds of years many things are assumed, that is true anywhere I guess. It is relatively easy to tell someone what their church believes when they don't know.
I am not sure that answers anything. I pray that your work is going well.
Eben

Leon Mission Effort said...

Thanks for the response. My question was more specifically dealing with all the idolatry, praying to Maria, Saints, etc. I wasn't sure if that is a Mexican tradition more than a Catholic church practice. I was just trying to find out what a typical "service" might be like and what other practices are done in the states (as compared to church of Christ). Sorry it took me so long to get back. This is Shawn Gary by the way.