Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Can we call you Christian?

The other night some friends of ours were over for supper. It was a great time and they are a wonderful Christ loving couple. We talked about our journeys. They knew of our journey as we talked we found they were searching for God as well and not content with where they were. They said they considered us Christians but didn't know if it was ok for Catholics to be called Christian. I quote..."well we consider you brother and sister but is it ok to call you Christian." Yes it is, that is what we are. I used to not think that Catholics were Christians. In fact I spent several years converting these Catholics to Christianity. I used to feel sorry for them. I thought they were miserable people and idol worshippers. A few years ago a young man who I knew in South America had returned to the Catholic church and I remembered thinking that he has lost his salvation. What is really interesting is the reason I believed this. When I was taught church history it went something like this...Acts was the start, a few years later everyone fell away, then reformers who weren't really Christians either questioned the Catholic church...then came the restoration movement and the church was back on the map. That is a crude breakdown of course but no wonder I felt sorry for them. Then when I would teach or be taught the Bible it was always based upon what I believed the Bible said. I had friends and brothers in other pulpits teaching from the same texts and arriving at different conclusions. Were we all right? I really don't know. I say that to say that the Catholic church has been Christ's church throughout history. I fully embrace as saved brothers those who come from churches other than the Catholic church. I appreciate your faith and am glad to know Christians in other groups. I say that to say this: we are Christians.

2 comments:

heather said...

amen, brother. :)

Debbie said...

I knew that! Here lies the problem in my mind about the church thing. I do not separate old testament and new testament. I do not see it as Law and Church. I see the Bible as Gods word period. I see Jesus as Holy and has made it possible for the lost of the world to have a relationship with God . Old testament you did not enter the presence of God without first being sanctified. New testament Jesus tells us that the only way to enter is through him. He does not say that the only way to enter the kingdom is by forsaking the Law and joining the right Church. The Church is the body of people who by the grace of God have the revelation of Christ. All who have a burning desire for Christ need a body of believers to fellowship with and nourish their spirit. If our spirit is not nourished with the love of Christ we need to find a new place to worship. It is that simple. I do think it is important for us to move around a little to see what God is doing in different congregations, to open our eyes. I went to a Catholic wedding once and I was moved by the reverence given to a Holy Place and found it quite pleasing, that the people treated the alter like the alter of God, like a Holy Place and I do think that when we come together it should be a Holy Encounter with God.