Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Preacher Icon

I was talking with a friend of mine Saturday. He is considering going into full time ministry. As a person who may feel comfortable teaching and preaching but maybe not as strong in other areas I wanted to warn him. I love preaching. I have considered, recently, of taking another job in Amarillo while my wife finished grad school. I think much of my consideration derives from the fact that I don't believe the "Preacher Icon" fits scripture. What is the preacher icon? It is the perfect hair, politically correct, always happy, usually compassionate and certainly well liked by everyone (because he is doing what they think he should). This may win a lot of friends and at times temporarily cause growth. But at what cost? I love preaching because I believe that the Word is living and nothing molds the heart of a Christian for the service of their King than the Word. I don't fit the preacher icon neither do I wish to fit the mold. I would hope that no single person would be expected to have all of the gifts needed to minister. This would result in a spiritual death for many. Use your gift, fan it into flame and let the entire body of Christ minister. I am thankful I am blessed to minister in a way I know God has called me to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just preach on, Buddy. We love ya.
Vicki