Sunday, March 9, 2008

New...Ark of the Covenant

I got a post today that revealed a few things. First, it is the best interest of all that we move on. Second, we are being lied about and mis-quoted. Third, good people usually speak the most honest words. I respond to this only because I admire the faith of the person who made these suggestions.

Different topic...
I was blessed with the opportunity to go to a Bible conference yesterday. It was a view of the Old Testament's fulfillment in the New. Really neat stuff. I was very encouraged. One topic that stuck out more than others was the idea of the Ark of the Covenant. God dwelt with His people through this Ark. It contained the Word, which God was in (John 1). It contained manna, God's food for His people. As well it contained the staff of Aaron, a representative of the priesthood. (Where the Ark was, so was God's blessing and victory, because it was His presence with Israel. Read 2Sam. 6-7) All three of these were fulfilled in Christ. He became flesh and lived among us. He is the high priest and we eat the new food, His body, which gives us life. What about the Ark of the Covenant. Why did the Old Testament go into such great detail to teach us about God's presence in that Ark? We know Jesus fulfilled the contents aspect but what about the Ark...
How did Jesus come into the world?
Who was His Mother?
Revelation 11-12 shows us the throne room of God. We are told that John could see the new Ark. This was Mary. She was the bearer of God. She sat crowned in Heaven. I promise it's in there read Revelation 11-12. I had always taught that the woman was the church or something other than Mary. The problem is Jesus only had one Mother. The priesthood, the manna, and the Word made flesh was all fulfilled in Jesus. The instrument God used to bring Christ into the world was the new Ark of the Covenant.
I will write more about this later. I wrote this pretty quickly.
Peace.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The woman is being persecuted, the Greek word here is "basanizo" which means torment. This word is used nowhere else in the Bible or in extra biblical literature to describe a woman's pains of childbirth. This word indicates to be tortured by persecution.
Isaiah 51: 2-3,9-11 offers strong backdrop.

Eben said...

What do you mean? How does this relate to Mary's being the Ark of the Covenant? I guess I am not too sure what you mean, please help me I need a lot of it.
Peace be with you.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to be too succinct. Revelation 12--could not be Mary because of this verb. The woman here is more likely the nation of Israel. Trying to stay with one issue. May be of interest to read the story of Apollo, many parallels, just an aside.

Eben said...

Israel...that is a good thought. Since Jesus came to preach to Israel. However, Jesus still only has one mother.
Thanks for posting, you always have great things to think about.
Let me know what you think.

Stephanie said...

Actually, the woman in Revelation does not have to be tied down to only ONE interpretation...it is not uncommon for such symbolic writing in the scriptures to have a multifaceted meaning. Therefore, she can be seen as the embodiment of the Church as a whole, as Israel, as Eve, and of course as Mary as well. There is a great little article from Jimmy Akin about it here.

The Woman in Revelation 12 is part of the fusion imagery/polyvalent symbolism that is found in the book. She has four referents: Israel, the Church, Eve, and Mary.

She is Israel because she is associated with the sun, the moon, and twelve stars. These symbols are drawn from Genesis 37:9–11, in which the patriarch Joseph has a dream of the sun and moon (symbolizing his father and mother) and stars (representing his brothers), which bow down to him. Taken together, the sun, moon, and twelve stars symbolize the people of Israel.

The Woman is the Church because, as 12:17 tells us, "the rest of her offspring" are those who bear witness to Jesus, making them Christians.

The Woman is Eve because she is part of the three-way conflict also involving her Seed and the Dragon, who is identified with the ancient serpent (the one from Eden) in 20:2. This mirrors the conflict in Genesis 3:15 between Eve, the serpent, and her unborn seed—which in turn is a symbol of the conflict between Mary, Satan, and Jesus.

Finally, the Woman is Mary because she is the mother of Jesus, the child who will rule the nations with a rod of iron (19:11–16).

Anonymous said...

Would I have more luck with these questions if I agreed to look at these scriptures with a concentric circle of context: New Testament, Bible, Sacred Tradition and Rule of Faith? I'm confused at your assertion that Jesus only had one mother since I have made no attempts to refudiate such. I have only made the positive statement that the woman in Revelations is not Mary. How was Mary religiously persecuted?

Eben said...

Stephanie,
Great point you certainly bring out a good point. The reason I believe the last part of 11 and 12 of Revelation is Mary is because of John's vision of the Ark of the Covenant. Then Mary. It seems as if the chapter is unfortunate.
Thanks for posting I trust that you are doing well. I would love to talk with some more about this very similar journey.
Eben

Eben said...

Anon,
I appreciate your honesty and your love for the scriptures. I apologize if I asserted that you did not believe Jesus had one mother. About the concentric circles...No I think the text is sufficient.
Eben

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed our study together but I'm afraid this will be my last reply. I have spent a week communicating with the person that was in your congregation that is my pen pal. When at first was told of your "change", I found it interesting to study with you. Someone that was so fervent about a belief system and then suddenly made change. I now have come to see the pain you have brought to many people. I believe any further study would just be disputatious. I was so hoping to get to Paul. I never said I was a "Mr". My name is Emily and my family calls me M. Revelations is my favorite book. Not for the seemingly, morbid reasons that other peole find but because it allows us to know the time of Satan is limited and we know the outcome of the great story! The concentric circle method of study is just what the Catholic church teaches. Generally, the Catholic church looks at scriptures in the light of the Trinity and the Incarnation and with the teaching office of the magasterium. Scripture is not sufficient for you any longer. I found the catechism (which i read) to be "one stop shopping" and no conformity in the ecumenical councils. (How could there have been?) I found the reign of Constantine to be interesting. ( pagan rituals introduced) All of this aside. I look forward to meeting you in Heaven. I'll be the one with the new face and body