Thursday, January 17, 2008

I like meat!

My wife would be embarrassed if she knew I was telling everyone this story but sometimes it is fun to reveal just how much of a hick I really am. We recently went on a cruise. It was a lot of fun. I enjoy them a great deal. The best part is that you don't have any phone service when you are in the water. I like that. The first day was a lot of fun. We got to Fort Lauderdale about noon and we were on the boat by 2 or so. We hadn't eaten much all day and I was ready for supper. Supper time came. I put on my nice boots, my nice pants yada yada yada. When you go on a cruise the food is included in your package. You don't pay extra. They bring you a menu and you choose from a wonderful list of food. The first night prime rib was on the menu. I love prime rib. We can't really afford to go and eat prime rib now because we are both back in school. When I die if I go to hell there will be a prime rib in an oven that can't open. If I go to heaven I'll eat it everyday. Anyway, needless to say I ordered the prime rib. Ate it with a smile in every bite. Well the waiter was from Honduras and spoke Spanish. My wife does not speak Spanish. My wife would gasp if I ordered a second prime rib. Being the good husband I am and not wanting to worry my wife I ordered it in Spanish. When the waiter came back with my second slab of meat my wife looked at me with that look that many of us unsophisticated people get from time to time. I ate. She bowed her head. I am not sure if it was to pray or in embarrassment. I was happy. I love meat.

5 comments:

Guy and Nancy said...

OHH EBEN! Well we are glad Jen got to go on her cruise. I remember you guys talking about going when we were in Tulia! I am also happy for both of you in the decisions you have made. You are smart to do what you need to do. So many people don't do that and stay where they are because they are scared. Maybe we will see you in Feb. - Guy and Nan

Sarah said...

I love it, Eben! It is what makes you, you!

tim rush said...

Hey Cool,

I just happened onto your blog from Sarah's. Very fun finding you. We too got to go on a cruise last summer (to Alaska). My brother-in-law just ordered two meals each evening. One for himself and another for his imaginary friend Jeffrey. It got to where after he ordered for himself the waiter would ask, "and what will Jeffrey be having this evening?"

Curious to hear more about what your next step will be after preaching and what new things you're learning.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too bad Eben. When we went on our cruise, I wasn't sure what some of the stuff on the menu was so I ordered steak everynight!

I hope you guy's had fun!

Sandi

Eben said...

Sandi,
I ordered whatever was beef because I knew that at least I would be supporting the cattle market and I don't like white meat but about 1-2 time a month. They say most people have about 5 pounds of meat in them, I think I have about 50.