Friday, September 7, 2007

Encouraged!

The last weeks Jennifer and I have been thinking about future. What we would do, where we would like to do it etc. I get very frustrated with systems that bow to the whim of the loudest and most obnoxious voice. I had mentioned earlier that I was thinking about taking a job offer in Amarillo while Jennifer finishes school. During this time I would do some more grad school and work toward teaching at the collegiate level, which is Jennifer's plan right now. I guess if I am honest I don't think I do a very good job at being a minister. Much of what I say about the system and those things that bother me stem from my own insecurity about what I do. I just didn't think that preaching was what I needed to do. But today was a day that I will never forget. Fridays are kinda lazy for me. I mess around the house, work on Sunday's sermon a little bit, pick the High School kids up for lunch and eat with them and then just hang out with my wife. I came early today and one of the women in the kitchen encouraged me to keep doing what I am doing. I don't think she knows how much it meant to have someone notice. I walked out of the room and through my tears thanked God for making it clear. I am not digging for anything here I just want to say that I really appreciate encouragement, and I hope that I will learn to encourage others, God knows we all need it.

13You must encourage one another each day. And you must keep on while there is still a time that can be called "today." If you don't, then sin may fool some of you and make you stubborn. (CEV)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eben,
I told you earlier today that it is good to read your blog, because people see you as a person, and not up on a peddlestool! I'm one of those people! It seems like here lately, I have been getting to know you more and more, and I'm not good about putting myself out there to know people, and Kevin is worse than me! So I know I pick on you more than I encourage you, but I wouldn't pick on you if I didn't respect you (If that makes any sense? And I have been told you are to respect your elders!) But you are a good preacher and teacher! I get alot out of you messages, and I would hate to lose you as our preacher!
Also, thanks for all of your encouragment in all that I am trying to do, it is very difficult at times, and I know you understand that, and now I know that is why you have been encouraging me!
Thanks and God Bless You!
Anna

Eben said...

Anna,
Thanks so much! It means more than you know,
Eben

Matt H. said...

Eben,
We sometimes put too much pressuer on our preacher, i know that i have been guilty of that. You are a great teacher, you knowledge of the Bible is awesome, i have learned a lot from you and i thank you for that. Hang in there your doing a great job!!

Anonymous said...

Eben, I am not good at reading blogs, seems I am too busy, but I am doing more reading and I just wanted you to know I too think you have alot of knowledge that I have learned from. I too think you are doing a great job and would hate to lose you. I know you have lost some good friends this year who have moved away, but hang in there, there is always new friends to be made. Sometimes we don't know why God moves people away from us, or even moves us, but I do know he has his reasons and his way is so much better, so hang in and know God has great things in store for you.

Anonymous said...

I didn't sign my name, on the previous anonymous,
Cheryl