Friday, April 16, 2010

I sit on a mower for the greater part of the summer. My ipod is in my ears around 4-6 hours a day. It is much better to listen to music than the constant loud hum of landscape equipment. Last weekend the worst thing happened. I was bouncing around, the ipod fell out of my pocket and was run over by the mower deck. It didn't survive.
When I turn it on the screen still comes on, a sign that life still exists in my fallen friend. There is little hope though that any music or audiobooks will ever be shared with me from my little pearl white buddy ever again.
Whether it's an ipod or not nothing can sustain a horrible beating and then be expected to play for us. Paul tells us that the body of Christ is like the human body with Christ as our head. If one part of that body is cut off, damaged or destroyed it the mutual responsibility of the body to get that person singing with the choir again. After all that is what we collectively make up, a sacrificial choir. Offering ourselves and our gifts as an instrument to God's glory. My question would be have we thrown some of the most valued members under the deck to the detriment of the body or are we seeking to build up what we have destroyed.
I feel very fortunate that I have had the opportunity to have been around some wonderful encouraging people in my walk with God but I know that others have not. The light is on but because of the beatings there is no music.
Because I busted my ipod I have been on ebay hunting for a deal. Did you know that you can find ipods that are refurbished? I was stoked about that because they are cheaper and they work like they were new.
"Encourage one another as long as it is called today."

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Oh wow. I loved the analogy you used here with the now soundless (though lit) void of your IPod.

What a blessing to have run across your blog. :)