Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A great day.

The last 48 hours have brought much needed rainfall to the area. Even though I don't get to work the days that it rains it means more work long-term. It is truly an answer to prayer that we have got so much rain. We are very thankful. As well, we learned yesterday that Jennifer's tuition for both summer session is negative $80. She got a grant and a teaching assistantship that took care of everything. She told me this morning that her balance due at Tech was negative 40 for the first session. Awesome. Since I have been at the house I have preparing a lesson for a conference in June at the Cathedral. I am doing a lesson over the Psalms of Lament and other speakers are doing other types of Psalms. I was told a while ago to quit whaling about being Catholic but I love it. I love being part of a church that seeks the whole of scripture rather than pulling texts out of context. I am so thankful to be alive, married to Jennifer, part of the Catholic church and be a recipient of God's blessings. Well I have to go do some paperwork. I am not thankful for the paperwork associated with owning a business.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been preaching from the text on a contextual basis or a narrative approach, for about 6 months now. It has changed they way I read and study the Bible. Seems the Church of Christ has done the "grab a text" strategy for years.
I have had a few comments like "when ya gonna give us a "doctrinal" sermon? I say when I am done preaching the Bible!
I hope and pray your business does well man. Later..........

Anonymous said...

this is very late in the game, not to mention off subject and i don't want to hijack your blog, but...

it seems to me that you have simply left one humanistic religion (restorationism) for another humanistic religion(catholicism).

the fairly supportive comments from sunsetters and aimers (though i suspect they are meant to simply keep a little dialogue going) seem to illustrate the relatively small change you have actually made.

many emergent and emergent wannabes are heading toward rome, whether they realize it or not. and it is not a high view of scripture that takes them there, but an anthropocentric view. catholicism makes its appeal to the flesh, just as restoration theology appeals to the flesh.

the heart of the gospel is justification by faith alone. justification by faith alone isn't syergistic enough for restorationists, it isn't legalistic enough for catholics and it isn't sexy enough for emergents. but it is what scripture teaches. i don't think you have a high view of scripture (as your sympathizers suggest), but a high view of man. you were enamored with a man-centered gospel and you still are.

you were probably (almost undoubtedly) a semi-pelagian, and now maybe you are becoming a full blown pelagian - that's it. big whoopty doo.

note: even though i don't see that you have made that big of a leap theologically speaking, that is not to say that i think popery isn't utter foolishness.

i would be interested in doing a bit of correspondence if you are interested, but I don't know how to email you. (and i don't want to have a conversation with anyone else.)

warmly,

a classmate from SIBI (but i'm not sure we ever even had a conversation.)

Eben said...

Former Sunset Grad,
I didn't know how else to communicate with you either. my email is ebenemerson@hotmail.com.
I would be very interested in communicating with you. I agree that justification is by faith alone. I appreciate your honesty. I wish you would have left your name but that is cool. Email me and we will continue our converstation.
Eben